Partner – Commercial & Technology – position can be based in Bath/London/Oxford or Swindon Offices
Job Ref: 9076
Contact Name: Vanessa Payne
Contact Tel: 01252 761444
Contact Email: email@example.com
Partner – Commercial & Technology
About the Role
Technology is changing how we all live and work. Our client is looking for a Partner to join their Corporate & Commercial team to specialise in dealing with technology and Intellectual Property work, as well as wider commercial contracts work.
You will look to grow, develop and manage Technology and IP work with an aim to build the business whilst maintaining a consistent level of excellent client service. You will work closely to support the Head of Department and Business Manager in achieving the Business Plan. To have responsibility for line managing and growing the Technology & Media team.
Duties will include:
- To carry out IP and IT work and heavy weight commercial contract work generally, but with a particular focus on the technology & media sector. Act as a recognised expert in your discipline/sector
- Manage a client review process and introduce changes based on feedback; run effective client/ referrer development plans
- Identify and manage professional risk for yourself and the team, ensuring appropriate systems and processes are adhered to.
- Develop Technology & IP work and general heavy weight commercial contract work within the Corporate & Commercial department with an aim to build the business and sector specialism across Royds Withy King.
- Expand your area of business by broadening your area of expertise into new client sectors/markets or achieving greater market share
- Lead on the generation of thought leadership based on changes in the law, market trends or other relevant material to attract new opportunities
- Cement and grow networks internally and externally to refer business to the department and to the firm.
- Support pitch teams by attending pitches, writing materials and preparing documents.
- Provide leadership and management for the Technology & IP team, setting SMART objectives and providing to support to help the team achieve these.
- Actively manage performance within your team
- Responsible for managing and supervising work in the team to achieve all financial and non-financial KPIs. Use management information to understand the performance of self and team
- Ensure profitability on matters for self and team through understanding the contractual basis on which legal services are provided, including how to calculate and manage costs and bill clients.
- Understand the key challenges in the sector and implement ways to improve business performance through innovative practices
The role can be based in any of their offices – Bath, London, Oxford or Swindon.
Skills & Experience:
- Qualified Solicitor with experience operating as a senior fee earner
- Strong knowledge and practice of IP and IT law and wider commercial law, particularly in relation to commercial contracts. The role is for non-contentious contract law specialist but a working knowledge of contentious IP law would be an advantage.
Clear business plan for growth proposition within the technology & IP department
Strong client management skills with a focus on delivery of excellent client service
Excellent business developer with a proven ability to convert business development activity into work
Ability to lead and manage a small team