The Firm has a nationally recognised practice within the Charity and Social Enterprise sector and has been involved in some of the most important matters with the charity sector in recent years, including significant hive-offs from central government into the charity sector and innovative charity registrations. A key element of the post will be assisting the team on legal work, including charity registrations and applications, and involvement in business development. The applicant will be expected to assist with file and document management and administrative duties for the team as needed.
- Researching legal matters as required and preparing documents summarising the research as required.
- Charity Commission applications and filings to Companies House and other regulators.
- Supporting business development activities and assisting with the maintenance of the client database.
- Understanding the Charity and Social Enterprise sector and what we are doing within it, keeping abreast of relevant changes in legislation and wider changes within the industry.
- Assisting with all staff to facilitate efficiency on transactions.
- Preparing drafts of documents and corresponding with clients as requested.
- General document management including filing and photocopying as required by the team.
- Dealing with all clients referred to you in person and on the telephone in a professional and efficient manner. As experience develops, direct management of some matters (with supervision).
- Working as part of a Team with the other members of the Team/s or other members of the Firm where necessary.
- Carrying out your work for the client to the highest possible standard.
- Dealing with all communications promptly whether internal or external.
- Meeting time recording requirements.
- Liaising with accounts on billing as needed.
The person must have the ability to take responsibility for managing their own cases, subject to overall supervision which will be given with attention to personal development, and be prepared to work beyond standard office hours in order to do so when necessary.
The successful candidate will be educated to degree level and have successfully completed the GDL if applicable. We would expect applicants to have a 2.1 and 320 UCAS points as a minimum requirement. LPC desirable.
Interest in, or knowledge of, Charity and Social Enterprise sector would be an advantage.
Personal qualities will be extremely important.
The environment is positive and supportive but often highly pressurised due to external deadlines and volume of work. We need someone that is pro-active and will not be affected by pressure. The candidate should be well-organised; possess excellent communication skills; be highly accurate in the quality of their work; have good time management; and (although supervised) capable of working on their own and taking initiative. Proficiency at legal research is important.
The ability to work in harmony with others, and to contribute to a pleasant working environment for all concerned, will be important.
It will be necessary for the candidate to already have good IT and keyboard skills (particularly in all commonly used Microsoft functions).
Working hours – 9.00am – 5.30pm.
Salary and Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life assurance (4 x salary)
- Pension scheme
- 25 days holiday