Commercial Senior Associate
Job Ref: 9203/PTP
Contact Name: Vanessa Payne
Contact Tel: 01252 761444
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Commercial Senior Associate
Our client is looking for a Commercial Senior Associate to join their office located in the Thames Valley.
This role will also have a focus on a wide range of issues, including international software licenses and IT implementation agreements, outsourcing matters and regulatory issues for the Commercial group’s technology clients.
You will have the opportunity to work on projects in various sectors, as well as develop your expertise in technology matters. Examples of recent projects are:
- We continue to advise Vodafone on a range of important matters, including this year assisting with substantial outsourcing projects relating to their HR and Enterprise IT services.
- We continue to advise longstanding global software and IT client Micro Focus on a wide range of issues, including international software licenses and IT implementation agreements, as well as a substantial licensing dispute with one of its financial services customers.
- KPMG Crimsonwing Limited is KPMG’s new Microsoft Azure implementation business. We were instructed by them on a major IT systems integration and outsourcing deal in relation to the management of in-cab SaaS systems for leading waste management business Biffa.
- We are acting for a major Japanese bank in connection with the monetisation of various IT assets. This has involved structuring ownership of our client’s rights in the relevant assets, advising on the tender documentation and subsequent responses, as well as contractual terms for the exploitation of the IT assets.
- Osborne Clarke continues to advise the AA on a range of IT and commercial agreements related to its core insurance underwriting business for both motor and home insurance products. Our role includes assisting with software licensing and maintenance, for example in relation to claims handling software, on both an outsourced and on-premises basis, as well as advising on agreements for the provision of business critical data feeds – for example for the detection of insurance fraud or for property valuation).
- Advising a FTSE 100 company on the outsourcing of a significant part of its European warehousing operations.
- Advising household name retailers on their sales channels structures (franchises and concessions) and manufacturers on their routes to market, including agency and distribution agreements, working alongside colleagues in our European and US offices
- Advising a defence contractor on a long-term agreement for the provision of strategic equipment and related maintenance services
- Advising on a major strategic alliance and sponsorship arrangement between a well-known brand and a Formula One racing team to combine sponsorship advantages with the development of data analytic offerings.
- Acting for energy retailers and a DNO on a range of commercial and energy regulatory issues
- Hoopla is the “Netflix for libraries”, allowing users to use library cards to access digital copies of films, music and books. We advised this new entrant to the UK entertainment industry on all aspects of its launch, from a website compliance exercise to its agreements with content owners.
- We acted for CloudTalent, a cloud advisory business, in connection with its sale to Avanade Inc. (jointly owned by Accenture and Microsoft). The acquisition is intended to strengthen Avanade’s Microsoft-focused infrastructure and cloud business in the UK and its expansion of services across Western Europe.
Technical skills and experience
You will have a range of commercial law experience gained either at a city, national or large regional law firm recognised for its commercial law practice, or in-house. In particular you will have strong drafting skills, ideally have experience of advising on a range of commercial contracts, privacy matters and technology deals, and be able to provide concise, commercial advice to clients whilst really getting to know their sector as well as their business. Due to the nature of the work and the structure of the team, we are looking for a Senior Associate, although we will consider candidates with less or more experience.
Your career development
Like all their lawyers, you will benefit from our multi-award winning career development programme. At each stage of your career this provides you with:
- clear expectations of your role and what it takes to progress;
- high quality clients and work, with early responsibility and client exposure;
- thorough assessment and individual feedback from a range of experienced colleagues;
- robust technical training with early skills based development, increasingly tailored to you; and
- reward for your contribution, progression and potential, rather than PQE or tenure.