Associate – Commercial Health
Job Ref: 8043
Location: West Midlands
Contact Name: Vanessa Payne
Contact Tel: 01252 761444
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our client needs a first class commercial health solicitor to undertake work for the public and independent health sector. This role is to work with the commercial health team in Birmingham, as well as colleagues in other offices, in providing commercial support and advice to NHS bodies and independent sector health (ISH) providers.
This role is based in Birmingham and covers a large number of areas of commercial law including drafting commercial contracts, advising on outsourcing arrangements and contractual joint ventures between NHS and non NHS bodies, advising on procurement of non clinical goods and services, advising on the commissioning of clinical services, acting for NHS bodies on the full range of NHS contracts, advising on the NHS standard contract (both NHS commissioners and ISH providers who are contracting to provide NHS services) and preparing section 75 agreements between health and social care commissioners. We have an impressive client list and you will work closely with national NHS bodies, local health organisations, non-NHS providers such as social enterprises and our impressive client base of ISH clients as they contract with the NHS and form joint ventures and other partnership arrangements.
Work will include, but not be limited to:
- advising on primary care contracts with doctors, dentists and pharmacists and their operation
- advising on Clinical Commissioning Groups’ activities
- advising on commissioning clinical services
- drafting and negotiating a range of large commercial contracts including multi party contracts involving NHS bodies and advising on international contracting (public and independent sector)
- advising on tendering procedures and interpreting public procurement legislation
- advising NHS trusts on mergers and acquisitions as well as less formal joint venturing and partnering arrangements
- helping ISH clients as they bid competitively for NHS contracts and help them prepare tender submissions, negotiate contract terms and implement new NHS services
- advising on corporate governance issues such as appropriate use of powers and public law duties and appropriate structures for carrying out certain activities
- acting on co-operative developments between NHS bodies, local authorities and other partners
- advising on legal structures for undertaking activities
- advice on information governance, including application of the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information Act;
- advice on the implementation of policy such as requests for exceptional funding and implementation of central government advising on tendering procedures
What experience is required?
You will be 2+ years PQE with significant experience of advising and undertaking commercial work for the public sector and commercial work for the independent sector. Although experience of the health sector is desirable we will consider applicants who can demonstrate excellent commercial legal skills, sound commercial acumen, an interest in business development, an in depth understanding of the public and independent sector and a passion for working in this sector.